Since 2015, Infinx has served one of Pennsylvania’s largest hospital systems, who had sought an innovative preauthorization solution which could significantly reduce costly payor delays and denials, which too often frustrated both patients and physicians.
After an evaluation process among several options for revamping their systemwide preauthorization operations, Infinx proved to be the strongest choice.
The solution needed to deliver enhanced preauthorizationl workflow while providing seamless integration of their existing practice management software (PMS), Epic. Strong IT security standards were also necessary, as well as overall satisfaction of a complex structure of internal stakeholders. These essential requirements were filled by our cloud-based authorization workflow software, iBridge, backed by the flexibility of our team of healthcare preauthorization specialists.
iBRIDGE IS HIPAA COMPLIANT
Firstly, we addressed the customer’s concerns in regard to maintaining full HIPAA compliance, in both technical security and handling of patient information (PHI). Such standards have been a hallmark of both iBridge and our preauthorization team:
- All PHI stored via iBridge are fully encrypted, per HIPAA guidelines, and stored on Amazon Web Services S3 cloud servers, at secured locations, providing SOC2 compliance documentation.
- Patient data is never stored longer than necessary, with regular archiving and purging.
- All files are password-protected and access-controlled, as necessary.
- Preauthorization team members are proficient in HIPAA-compliant standards and protocols, via formal training and periodic reviews.
- New software updates are thoroughly reviewed and tested for airtight data security, while all technical infrastructure and procedures are regularly audited throughout the year.
SUCCESSFUL TWO-WAY HL7 INTEGRATION WITH EPIC
After demonstrating full HIPAA compliance, our next step was configuring iBridge to interface with the customer’s existing Epic PMS. Epic’s HL7 interface differs from other common PMS systems, which use ADT or ORM messages to share patient scheduling information. Our interface engineering team, experienced in multiple HL7 platforms, tackled this issue and configured the REF message type to support this two-way interaction.
Our engineers were able to ensure that iBridge could handle all types of incoming message scenarios. We worked with the hospital interface team to define business rules, flags and relevant data transmission conditions, developing a list of over 100 possible scenarios, each tested during a week-long exercise. This identified a number of ambiguous triggers, which were fine-tuned in advance of a smooth transition.
The engineering team next designed an REF-compatible AUT segment which could automatically transmit all authorization-related information back to Epic, reflecting interim statuses and final outcomes during the process of preauthorization. Testing was conducted to ensure data was flowing back to Epic at all points.
ESTABLISHING PAYOR CONTACT PROTOCOLS
This regional hospital system included a broad span of physician groups and practices. For purposes of operational consistency, they preferred us to represent ourselves as calling on behalf of the provider imaging facility when contacting payors. This presented multiple challenges of how to properly initiate preauthorization calls, provide necessary clinical information, follow up and escalate cases to deliver the most expedient processing possible.
After extensively researching requirements of benefit managers and payors, our team developed a comprehensive, fully-compliant methodology for universal payor communications. By the formal launch of service, we were fully prepared to successfully process preauthorizations with virtually any payor based in the United States.
MATCHING OUR RESOURCES TO THE CUSTOMER
The larger size and scope of this customer’s radiology operations also required flexibility of our preauthorization resources to successfully meet this new volume of business. Expanding our team required a systematic, sequential onboarding process to ensure every team member was consistently prepared to implement the technological and operation protocols we’d developed for this customer. This resulted in a clean, organized and speedy roll-out with few notable “growing pains”.
- Due to our technical and subject matter experience and flexibility, we provided an advanced, technology-led preauthorization solution custom-tailored to the customer’s stringent security and compliance requirements.
- Our company was able to adapt, expand and rapidly bring new teams up-to-speed via a custom-tailored onboarding program.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Overall > 95% successful authorization rate
- 100% SLA compliance to TATs on stat, same day and standard appointments
- 99% error-free audits on all documentation
- 100% compliance to all payor guidelines, protocols
Learn more about Infinx and our advanced preauthorization solutions at www.infinxinc.com